From: Tobias Schwinger (tschwinger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-03 08:37:43

Larry Evans wrote:
> On 06/02/2005 12:01 PM, Tobias Schwinger wrote:
>

>> Anything in the pipeline (perhaps further development of Boost.Pool) ?
>> Any others interested in this ?
>> Am I missing something ?
>> Volunteers ?
>
> I'm wondering why the customizable memory management described here:
>
> ftp://ftp.di.unipi.it/pub/project/posso/cmm/
>
> couldn't be adapted to boost.

Nice! Thanks for the link.

However, the paper very much focusses on the aspect of garbage collection, which
is not exactly what I was talking about and seems a bit out-dated in regard to
the design discussion. The code is released under an aggressive open source license.

> It allows separate heaps for different
> memory management schemes. It also allows precise collection if
> one takes the trouble to create a pointer map for each class.

Explicit lifetime management (manual or "smart") should be enough in most
cases... A lame excuse because I find non-deterministic algorithms scary,
perhaps ;-).

> However, creating such a map for any field, not just smart pointer
> fields, is the purpose of:
>
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/boost-sandbox/boost-sandbox/boost/fields_visitor
>
> so I don't see that as a big problem.

IIRC, I have looked at this code before. A brief example (maybe in form of a
@code block) would be a great.

Regards,

Tobias