From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-06 10:09:07

Matt Hurd <matt.hurd_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I remember a previous thread lamenting knowledge of boost for both
> peddling skills and promoting its use within a company.
>
> Perhaps another possibility for boost might be an area for advertising
> positions vacant for boosters. I have a couple of couple of positions
> now in Sydney in my company and boosters are thin on the ground. I'm
> toying with the idea of requiring them to contribute to boost as part
> of their employment, but that may be just my own guilt regarding my
> lack of contribution. I expect to hire a couple of people that don't
> know boost exists if previous experience is repeated. I don't know
> the best way to find boosters and if they are like me they are too
> busy working to read ads anyway. Such a job area at boost indirectly
> supports the value proposition of using boost if the skills are seen
> to have demand. A lot of people learn .NET or Java as this is where
> the careers seem to be. Then again goodness for goodness sake is
> perhaps more valuable. I can see both sides so I'm not sure.

It sounds attractive when someone like you asks about it, but the
problem is that we also get random recruiters who hear "Boost people
are good" and want to get their names out there. [Very clever
advertising technique, BTW, making this proposal ;-)] We don't really
want to be in the business of being an employment bulletin board.

> I also thought that perhaps the large number of hits boost gets could
> be put to good use with some google ads, banners, or some such, but
> I'm not sure I'd like to see boost cluttered with advertising.

Me neither.

> Raises the question of what the monies would be used for anyway.

Yes, and as of today Boost is still -- intentionally -- officially a
legal nonentity. If we started collecting money that would change and
it would complicate certain liability issues that we've been trying to
avoid. It's not out of the question, but also not something to
approach casually.

Regards,

--
Dave Abrahams