From: Markus Schöpflin (markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-15 12:42:17

David Abrahams wrote:

> Markus Schöpflin <markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden]> writes:

[snip]

> I'm confused. I was pretty sure Ralf was running Boost.Python on that
> compiler. Ralf?

Hmm, the tests have been failing for 1.32 as well. It was the same problem.

>>I had a look at the standard what should happen in this case, but after
>>reading [temp.over] I'm not really sure if we don't indeed end up with two
>>candidate functions for the overload resolution of foo(), one being the
>>overload itself and the other the specialization of the function template
>>for int. Could anyone please clarify this?

> The non-template function should be preferred. The function template
> should never even get instantiated.

Could you perhaps point me to the section in the standard where this is
specified? [temp.over] doesn't require this, I think.

>>As for a possible workaround, replacing the overload with a specialization
>>of the function template would work, AFAICT. Would such a patch be accepted?

> If it's a localized patch somewhere in Boost.Python, it might. But
> this sounds like the sort of problem that would require sweeping
> fixes. No?

I'll have to try to be sure, but I think you are right, it will require
tweaking much code.

Markus