From: Larry Evans (cppljevans_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-15 20:36:55

Hi Peter,

The code here:

   http://lists.boost.org/boost-users/2005/05/11805.php

appears to require the user to specify the root pointers in order to
do a complete collection. This is in contrast to sp_collect.cpp which
used Christopher's method [chri84] cited here:

    http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/people/staff/rej/gcbib/gcbibC.html

to find the roots, at least AFAICT. Is this intentional, or is the
above code in 11805.php simply a sketch of a method which will
eventually use something like Christopher's. I ask because some
of the code in 11806.php appears similar to some in sp_collect.cpp.
For example, I'm guessing that the map2_type in sp_collect corresponds
to the map_type in reset_and_collect, i.e. the key is sorted on
the referent, and the value is the number of smart_ptr's to that
referent that are on the heap.

Thanks for any clarification.

-regards,
Larry