From: Martin Bonner (martin.bonner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-17 03:41:03

----Original Message----
From: Martyn Woerner [mailto:martyn.woerner_at_[hidden]]
Sent: 17 June 2005 08:31
To: boost_at_[hidden]
Subject: Re: [boost] Header error using boost.regex 1.32 built using vc6

> Mea culpa.
I don't think you have (sinned that is), or at least not here.

> My test program had a preceding header that included
> "using namespace std;". I'd read it was bad practice, now I know
> why. Sorry to waste your time.

Putting "using namespace std;" before including a boost header ought to be
legal. I would regard it as a bug if a boost library failed because of a
preceeding "using namespace std;" ON A STANDARDS CONFORMING COMPILER. On
the other hand, VC6 is very far from a standards conforming compiler, so it
seems perfectly reasonable to require users not to do that.

It would be nice if there was warning somewhere in the documentation "that
error means you have done this, and we can't cope if you have to use VC6".

--
Martin Bonner
Martin.Bonner_at_[hidden]