From: Markus Schöpflin (markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-17 13:54:46

David Abrahams wrote:

> "Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve" <rwgk_at_[hidden]> writes:

>>>This is pretty bad because quite a few boost libraries depend on more than
>>>only the C names as specified in the standard. (thread and fs at least,
>>>IIRC, but I think there are more)
>>
>>In the hot days of Boost.Python development we were very careful to use only
>>ANSI features. Anything else is non-portable and bound to break somewhere,
>>sooner or later. I.e. I think the libraries that don't compile with -std
>>strict_ansi should be fixed.
>
> pthreads is an extension to what's required by ANSI. I think that
> might make Boost.Threads impossible.

Well, every boost library that relies on more than ANSI would be
affected. That is at least filesystem, thread and test because each of
them needs some POSIX feature to work properly.

And CXX is quite strict in strict ansi mode. Nothing is there besides
the things promised in the standard. For boost.test for example that
means, including <signal.h> doesn't give you sigaction, even not if the
POSIX feature macros say it's there.

So I think as long as the bug in iotraits is not fixed, boost.python
will not work on this platform, at least not with the boost.build
toolset. :-(

Markus