From: Julio M. Merino Vidal (jmmv84_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-17 16:48:57

Hi all,

I'm building Boost by hand under a Linux/powerpc system, GCC 3.3.5.
I've started creating a bjam binary as usual (and as explained in the
docs), and then tried:

$ bjam --layout=system --builddir=/tmp/work --with-filesystem \
  -sBUILD='<threading>multi release' stage

Everything went correctly, but then I found more files than expected
under the stage/lib directory. These are:

libboost_filesystem-mt.a
libboost-filesystem-mt.so (link to libboost_filesystem_mt.so.1.32.0)
libboost_filesystem_mt.so.1.32.0

As I understand from the documentation, setting --layout=system during
the build should cause all libraries to be unversioned (i.e., only the
.a and .so should be there), although from the above results it seems to
be working incorrectly in this platform.

However, trying this same thing under NetBSD/i386 (GCC 3.3.3) resulted
in the expected files; the .so.1.32.0 was not created, and the .so one
was a real file, not a link.

Any idea about what can be causing this issue? Am I doing something
wrong?

Thanks,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84_at_[hidden]>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/