From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-18 17:09:25

Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>> So... as --layout=system already removes the toolset string from the
>> library names (among several other things), why doesn't it remove -mt
>> and similar suffixes too?)
>
> Because then it would not be possible to select between single-threaded
> and multi-threaded versions of the same library. (repeat for the other
> options) Basically what --layout=system does is remove the tags that are
> redundant when using the system compiler. Of course if you only build
> one particular variant of the libraries then the extra tags might seem
> redundant. If that's the case a packager could decide to provide shorter
> names (as symlinks) to the desired variant.

I'm a little confused as to why the tags show up in the first place
when they're redundant. We do have a system for removing irrelevant
build properties from subvariant paths. I guess if you don't have a
consistent sequence of tags it gets hard to document what the library
name is on a particular system?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting