From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-21 10:40:01

From: Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]>
> Rob Stewart wrote:
> > From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
> >
> >>should be:
> >>
> >> It is strongly recommended that you simply <a href="...">download a
> >> prebuilt bjam executable</a> if we have supplied one for your
> >> platform. Otherwise, you'll need to build bjam from source. You may
> >> also need to rebuild bjam if you are using an unreleased state of
> >> the Boost sources from CVS, since the prebuilt executable may not
> >> support all the features currently being used by Boost.
> >
> > Consider avoiding the passive "it is strongly recommended." I
> > suggest this:
> >
> > You should <a href="...">download a prebuilt bjam
> > executable</a> if we have supplied one for your platform....
>
> Or similarly to something that changes the meaning less:
>
> We strongly recommend that you simply <a href="...">download a
> [etc.]

I don't see that mine changed the meaning. Sure, I omitted
"strongly recommend," but this is a Getting Started guide, so
anything not equivocated should be taken as explicit
direction. Only the reader with enough familiarity to not require
the Getting Started guide will know enough to choose another
course.

Also, I suspect -- I haven't confirmed this -- that "we" isn't
used elsewhere. Thus, I think your version would need to be
"Boost strongly recommends...."