From: JOAQUIN LOPEZ MU?Z (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-26 14:28:11

Hello,

With the recent change to strict_ansi mode,
Compaq C++ compiler is stumping into some
problems.
Currently, Boost.Serialization fails to build
because of the following: http://tinyurl.com/7cacb

This is a reduced form of the layout the compiler
is having a hard time with (in
boost/archive/impl/basic_xml_grammar.hpp):

template<class CharType>
class basic_xml_grammar
{
private:
  typedef std::basic_string<CharType> StringType;
public:
  struct return_values
  {
    StringType object_name;
  };
};

The compiler complains that StringType, as used
in the definition of object_name, is inaccesible.
I'm no C++ guru, but I understand the construct is
legal according to DR45. What puzzles me is that
Compaq C++ is seemingly the only compiler failing on
this, when the DR45 was approved well after the
standard (in 2001, I think.)

Anyway, I propose to make basic_xml_grammar::StringType
public, as it can really do no harm and Compaq C++ will
welcome it.
Any objection? Do I commit the change?

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo