From: Greer, Joe (jgreer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-29 16:06:18

> From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
> > Rob Stewart <stewart_at_[hidden]> writes:
> > >
> > > When classifying types, it is often necessary to test for any
> > > one of several variations of an aspect. A common case is
> > > ignoring an aspect which means to allow a match for any
> > > variation of that aspect

Please excuse me for jumping into the middle of this discussion. I am
only a budding metaprogrammer, so that influences how I read things like
this, so bear with me. With this phrasing, it is unclear to me whether
the common case is "ignoring an aspect" or if it is really "allowing a
match for any variation of an aspect" which I can do by "ignoring an
aspect."

> Neither quoted sentence seems long or complex. Perhaps there
> was something you snipped to which you were referring?
>
> Here's the full text of my suggestion:
>
> When classifying types, it is often necessary to test for any
> one of several variations of an aspect. A common case is
> ignoring an aspect which means to allow a match for any
> variation of that aspect and is only useful when also testing
> for other aspects. Ignoring an aspect means using an
> "unspecified_*" tag. For example, allowing a match for any
> decoration requires using the <tt>unspecified_decoration</tt>
> tag.

In this paragraph, you are telling me that "ignoring an aspect" is
"allow a match for any variation of that aspect" (sentence 2) and that
"ignoring an aspect" is "using an "unspecified_*" tag" (sentence 3).
The use of "means" in both sentences is awkward. It is also unclear
that "allow a match for any variation of that aspect" is actually the
same as "using an unspecified_* tag."

I tend to be more conversational in my writing, but I would be tempted
to write something like:

When classifying types, it is often necessary to test for any one of
several variations of an aspect. A common case is allowing a match for
any variation of an aspect. This is done by ignoring that aspect and is
implemented by using an "unspecified_*" tag. For example, to allow a
match
For any decoration would require using the
<tt>unspecified_decoration</tt> tag.

I just wanted to throw in my $.02. I'll go back into lurker mode now.
:)

Joe