From: Goran Mitrovic (gmit_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-04 14:25:26

Even though I'm surely not the first one that came up to this, I've got a
feature suggestion for the Static Assert library.

It would probably be nice to have a variation of the macro that has a second
argument with a short description of the problem that caused the assertion.

For example:

#elif defined(BOOST_MSVC)
#define BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT2( B, explanation ) \
  typedef ::boost::static_assert_test<\
    sizeof(::boost::BOOST_JOIN(STATIC_ASSERTION_FAILURE__, explanation)< (bool)(
B ) >)>\
      BOOST_JOIN(boost_static_assert_typedef_, __COUNTER__)

static_assert(2 > 3, two_not_larger_than_three);

error C2039: 'STATIC_ASSERTION_FAILURE__two_not_larger_than_three' : is not a
member of 'boost'

Comments?

P.S. With the usage of __VA_ARGS__, an implementation that would allow, with
some programmer's discipline, both forms merged together might be done!