From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-05 09:21:13

"Paul A Bristow" <pbristow_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Well I suspect I am not the only one confused already ;-)
>
> (I did claim to be well qualified!)
>
> A definition of 'Boost root' seems useful, for a start, even if it seems
> obvious to you.

It doesn't seem obvious to me, and if you read through my replies in
this thread you will see that I suggested specific text that indicates
which directory it is.

> The table of bjam options appears to me to provide c:\boost as the Win32
> default for where bjam puts the Boost version files.
>
> How do you suggest switching to a new Boost version 1.34?
> And back again if it proves to cause trouble :-(

I don't understand the question.

> Are you suggesting having c:\boost_1_33_0 and c:\boost_1_34_0 ... ?
> (c:\boost_1_33_latestCVS?)

No, but that seems like a reasonable approach. The specific path is
up to you. I might use:

c:\boost\1.33.0\
c:\boost\1.34.0\
c:\boost\cvs\

> Victor Wagner posted a method using an environment variable which
> worked well for him, allowing a smooth switch to and from release
> versions. should we suggest this?

I don't like to recommend anything that requires an environment
variable to be set up.

> Paul
>
> PS You might reduce resistance to using bjam by saying a bit more
> explicitly what it does
>
> "bjam runs the compiler and linker externally to any IDE..."

That's a good idea.

> It may come to a surprise to some Windows programmers that it is
> possible to run the compiler outside the IDE.

Very true :)

> And 'define' a toolset (compiler & linker etc)?

Also a good idea.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting