From: Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve (rwgk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-06 21:04:11

--- David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >> Doug, I know you've drawn that conclusion, but it really surprises me.
> >> Generally speaking, I have been able to use any version of Python with
> >> any compiler, provided Python was compiled with something having a
> >> compatible 'C' ABI.
> >
> > I dunno what else to say. You're free to play around with things on our
> > Linux machine (eddie); we have various flavors of GCC 3.3 and 3.4
> > available, with Pythons compiled with those plus the system GCC 3.3.5.
> > GCC 2.95.3 (with or without STLport) works fine with the system Python
> > (compiled with the system's GCC 3.3.5), but Boost.Python tests fail to
> > run properly unless Python is recompiled with the same GCC 3.3.6 or
> > 3.4.4.
>
> Well, I've done this numerous times on numerous machines. I wonder
> what's up with eddie? Ralf, does this sound normal to you?

(Newer?) Python executables are linked with "g++" (instead of "gcc"), which
brings in libstdc++.so. We had weird crashes when using a Python compiled on a
machine with libstdc++.so.5 (Redhat 8.0) for building Boost.Python extensions
on another machine which had libstdc++.so.6 (Gentoo 1.6.8 and Fedora core 3, I
believe).

To check for libstdc++ incompatibilities, run

    ldd <full-path-to>/python

and, e.g.,

    ldd <full-path-to>/minimal_ext.so

Look for lines like

    libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6 (0x0000002a95689000)

HTH,
        Ralf