From: Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve (rwgk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-07 02:43:29

--- Douglas Gregor <doug.gregor_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> It looks like that's the problem, then. We have two libstdc++ versions
> around, hence the need to build Boost.Python with the same compiler
> version as Python. Bummer.
>
> I wonder... does Python even use C++?

Not to my knowledge.
I guess they just wanted to do a favor to people using C++ extensions.
Or maybe it is an oversight? Either the comment in configure.in is out
of date or the script has a bug (Python 2.4.1 sources):

# LINKCC is the command that links the python executable -- default is $(CC).
# If CXX is set, and if it is needed to link a main function that was
# compiled with CXX, LINKCC is CXX instead. Always using CXX is undesirable:
# python might then depend on the C++ runtime
# This is altered for AIX in order to build the export list before
# linking.

> Should they just be linking with gcc?

Try this in the Python source code directory:

    ./configure LINKCC=gcc

It works for Python 2.4.1 under Fedora Core 3 (x86_64).

Cheers,
        Ralf

http://auctions.yahoo.com/