From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-14 18:40:34

Marc Siegel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At our labs we share the desire for a C++ iostreams implementation
> that deals with these problem domains:

> 1. Inter-process communications, including simple popen-type usage,
> like a scripting language; also pipes for forking
> 2. Socket communications, TCP UDP and unix

For the 1.34 release of Boost, I'm planning to add socket and pipe Devices to
Boost.Iostreams, which is debuting in 1.33
(http://boost-consulting.com/boost/libs/iostreams)

> 3. Serial communications, and a wrapper to set the serial parameters
>
> For 1. and 2., we are currently using the socket++ library. I am also
> aware of the PStreams library for 1.
> for 3. we use hacked together mix of C and C++.
>
> Is there any sort of joint strategy planned to tackle this area? If
> there is, I may be able to contribute.

There's been a lot of work on networking, most recently by Pedro Lamarão (see
the archives). I'm sure your contributions would be welcomed.

> Marc

Jonathan