From: Paul Mensonides (pmenso57_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-15 04:31:54

So, the solution is to propogate the norm--which, BTW, is responsible for
countless macro-related bugs over the years? How about we do it the right way,
and have users of Emacs and vi fix their editors formatting algorithms?

> I'd also argue that editor convenience is not an unimportant issue.
> My code editor is what I look at all day. It's probably what
> most of us look at all day. Auto indentation and syntax
> highlighting are not necessary for the preservation of life
> and limb, freedom, justice, and the pursuit of happiness, but
> they _do_ go a long way to keeping me happy and sane.

It takes very little effort to manually format the code that you write, and any
decent C++ programmer should be able to read the code formatted according to
another's preferences--without reformatting it. I don't have a problem with
tools like these, BTW. I have a problem with altering the purity of a code base
when it isn't absolutely necessary.

Regards,
Paul Mensonides