From: Jonathan Wakely (cow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-15 07:41:44

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 09:01:32PM -0700, Jeff Garland wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:40:34 -0600, Jonathan Turkanis wrote
> > > 1. Inter-process communications, including simple popen-type usage,
> > > like a scripting language; also pipes for forking
> > > 2. Socket communications, TCP UDP and unix
> >
> > For the 1.34 release of Boost, I'm planning to add socket and pipe
> > Devices to Boost.Iostreams, which is debuting in 1.33
> > (http://boost-consulting.com/boost/libs/iostreams)
>
> There's also been some work on Boost.Process -- see:
>
> http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?BoostProcess
>
> But it's not official yet.
>
> > > 3. Serial communications, and a wrapper to set the serial parameters
> > >
> > > For 1. and 2., we are currently using the socket++ library. I am also
> > > aware of the PStreams library for 1.

If anyone cares: I've got an evening alone at home tonight and hope to
commit a new version of PStreams that seperates the process-control
from the streambuf, so it will have a more general process class that
can be used independently of the IO features. I just need to fix a few
failing tests (what a way to spend a friday night ;-)

I've also been reviewing libexecstream with regard to usability and
missing features in PStreams. Then I'll try and support all the
features listed as requirements on the wiki page cited above.

jon