From: Thomas Witt (witt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-15 12:58:44

Arkadiy Vertleyb wrote:
> As I mentioned before, I don't think either way is perfect, and I don't even
> know which one I like more. However, I would like to make a couple of
> points, FWIW:
>
> "Paul Mensonides" <pmenso57_at_[hidden]> wrote
>

>>Except that in this case (the expression of a library feature), you're
>
> severly
>
>>underestimating a sound principle by letting it be outweighed by the
>
> possibility
>
>>of extra semicolons (which is quite possibly the easiest bug to fix of all
>
> time)
>
> I also think that extra semicolons is not a major problem, even if only
> because most users (about 99%, I think) don't really care about portability.

To me the whole portability discussion is missing one crucial point.
Portability is not only about being able to easily fix errors. It's also
about teams/people on different platforms working together. You really
don't want them to break each others code regularly, because this has a
tendency to create bad feelings. Things that are non-diagnosable on one
of the platforms make this really hard.

Just my 2ct

Thomas