From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-20 04:14:16

Jan Hermelink wrote:

> - fstream.hpp:
> Implementation of function narrow_path(const std::wstring & file_ph,
> ...)
> This function doesn't work at all on my system, it returns always the
> empty string. Why is this 8.3 conversion needed, can this work on NTFS
> reliable?

No. 8.3 aliases are optional on NTFS and turning them off improves the
performance of the file system, sometimes significantly.

The narrow path should probably be obtained via WideCharToMultiByte with
CP_ACP or CP_OEMCP, depending on whether AreFileApisANSI returns true, but
there's no guarantee that it will be useful for opening the file.