From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-23 13:44:02

Jeremy Maitin-Shepard wrote:
> I don't know whether this has been mentioned and/or discussed
> previously,

You could find out ;-) By doing a search on the list archives. And yes
it has been discussed. But I'll briefly reiterate some of my previous

> but I think it would be better to stick with the default
> font styles both for the text and more importantly for the links in the new
> home page design.

1. There are no universal defaults in web browsers.
2. It is not possible to accommodate user preferences, preferences are
different than defaults, without abandoning design.
3. The best way to accommodate the broadest set of user preferences is
to make it possible for users to either turn off the design. Or to
generally make it possible for the users specialized browser to display
the page as they wish or require.

[snip]

> Less strongly than in regards to the text styling, I also suggest
> that the left and right margins currently filled by gradient images be
> eliminated, since they take up space and don't really improve the
> appearance of the page.

1. Many other people disagree, and see the shadow gradients as and
improvement. Some of them publicly said so, others mentioned it to me
privately.
2. Yes, for many people it does take up more room than really needed for
the effect. But it hard to accommodate a wide range of uses with bitmaps.
3. Because of that, the next design, after the current release, doesn't
have the left-right shadows. The next design is also not just a face
lift as this one is, but also a structural content redesign.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything