From: Pedro Lamarão (pedro.lamarao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-23 14:42:02

Fellow Boosters,

this is an update on my proposal for (the beggining of?) a Boost.Network
library, located in the Sandbox.

I consider it feature complete for a 1.0 milestone; the features being:

*) IOStreams classes, fully buffered
*) A listener class
*) A wrapper for the name resolution service
*) A type to store addresses

The missing pieces being:

*) Complete the copy constructores and assignment operators of the
generic_address class.
*) Implement optimized xsputn() and xsgetn() in the stream buffer.
*) Implement setbuf() in the stream buffer.
*) Documentation (never enough)

The above list is what I intend to polish up for a formal proposal.

This is the TODO list for a next version:

*) Address types specific for IPv4 and IPv6, with input operators.
*) A formatter output operator for generic address types based on the
name resolution service.
*) Resolver options and manipulators for the above output operator.
*) Code conversion in the stream buffer.
*) A poller class.
*) Wrapper for sendfile/TransmitFile.
*) Implement showmanyc() and perhaps putbackfail() in the stream buffer.

With a proper poller class I believe most people's desires for
non-blocking operation would be satisfied.

I'm going out of town on vacations for some days, so things are going to
stall for a while. I hope to complete all tasks soon after Boost 1.33 is
released and a new review cycle starts.

--
 Pedro Lamarão