From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-25 10:06:00

I'm pretty satisfied with the way things are. I feel we've done all we can
for now.

a) CW still has this issue but most of the tests do pass. I'm convinced
that a solution to this will eventually be found. I'm most intrigued by the
most common error - "unregistered void cast" which seems to me to point to
basic_object.hpp . I don't see how this exception could be tripped be the
failure of type registration itself. My fiddling with basic_object.hpp was
along the lines of your solution for pointer_serializer. Now I'm wondering
about "is_pointer". Anyway, this will have to be addressed at our leasure.

b) I was very disappointed that Comeau couldn't be made to work. The
library does in fact build with this platform. But due to some sort of
interaction with the Boost Test library, the tests won't link and can't be
run. For all I know it would work with user code. I realize that Comeau
isn't on the "required" list so its not a release issue

c) The only thing left that might be addressable are issues with endian.hpp
on some platforms such as acc. Also a very minor issue as far as I'm
concerned. But I do think that if a header such as endian.hpp evolves into
a defacto boost library component, an attempt should be made to have it
supported on all platforms. May the serialization demo that uses it is the
only test of it.

Robert Ramey