From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-27 08:27:36

Felipe Magno de Almeida wrote:

> On 7/26/05, Pavel Vozenilek <pavel_vozenilek_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > Hello Hartmut,
> >
> > Wave executable could have feature for use in makefiles or makefile
> > generators.
> >

> > Wave could get this functionality too:
> > invoking wave.exe may be faster or more convenient than
> running full
> > compiler or a makedepend utility.
>
> I think it would be a very useful feature to make it easier
> to create a better-portable build system. But I'm not certain
> if it wouldnt be better to write a new tool for this or
> include it in wave.

I don't know whether the build system may benefit from such a tool, even
more as bjam already is capable of scanning the dependencies. But having the
freedom to generate a data format fitting to whatever needs we may have is
certainly an advantage.

But you're probably right that we should start of with a separate tool. If
it proves to be useful it may be incorporated into the wave driver
executable later on as well.

Regards Hartmut