From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-28 11:58:53

The problem should be fixed now. Let's hear it for the OSL guys!

  From: Rob Henderson <robh_at_[hidden]>
  Date: July 26, 2005 8:50:35 AM MDT
  To: Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]>
  Cc: OSL Sysadmin <osl-sysadmin_at_[hidden]>, Bruce Shei <shei_at_[hidden]>

  I wanted to let you know that I think I've figured out what is going
  on with the recent slowness with email to the mailman lists that was
  reported. The email address xxx_at_xxxx that is
  on the boost list appears to have some kind of anti-spam tarpit set
  up that is catching milliways. Email to this address is handled by
  mail.tapeinternational.no and it you telnet to port 25 on this host
  from milliways you will see that it is (I assume) deliberately slow.
  During the initial '220' response, it is sending characters at a rate
  of about one character per 30 seconds. This keeps the connection from
  milliways moving along at a rate sufficient to keep it from timing out
  but slow enough that delivery is taking hours. If you telnet to port
  25 from any other CS/OSL host the response is very fast so it is clearly
  set up to catch milliways.

  I don't know why they have done this, but I'd say the options are to either
  remove that user from the list or contact them and try to get them to stop
  this.

  Please let me know if there is anything else I can do related to this issue.

We have disabled delivery to the offending email address and notified
its owner.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting