From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-30 00:27:29

Rene Rivera wrote:
> I could certainly add something, like DEPENDS, that makes it seem
> easy. As long as Doug approves me messing with the build system at
> this time.

I don't think any changes should be made at this point. This is not an
urgent or critical problem. Its been around since the initial release of
the serialization tests a year ago and no one until now has even mentioned
it - much less complained about it.

>> While we're on the issue of Jamfiles, I did change my local Jamfile
>> for comeau compilers to use static libraries and it seemed to get
>> much better results. I could check in my change but I seem to
>> recall that a change was going to be made in the como ... vc-7_1
>> toolset to address this. So far test results show this hasn't
>> happened. So I'm confused as to whether to check in this change.

> The changes where deeper than that. They involved changing the the
> functionality of BBv1 itself. The changes I posted for this worked
> only as far as user level building went. But they break testing
> building. Doug said to not pursue spending time on that avenue, so I
> didn't. Yes it is considerably easier to account for that particular
> issue on the project Jamfiles. So I'd say check in your changes.

I agree 100% . Any available resources should be invested in V2. The
change is basically the same one we use to get CW-8-3 to work and we've been
using that for months satisfactorily so I would expect it would be fine. I
am confused as to where it should be checked in - in the normal place or in
some branch? On the other hand, Commeau has been explicitly excluded from
the list of "release" compilers. Based on this I was previous informed
that we shouldn't worry about as far as release is concerned and I believe
we should stick to that view. That is, we're better off not changing the
release requirements on the fly. I can check in the change to my Jamfile
but given the circumstances I think the best is to leave things as they are.

Robert Ramey