From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-03 05:16:08

Jonathan Wakely <cow_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
>
>> Pavel Vozenilek wrote:

>> > Possibly because of internal implementation.
>>
>> I think it's a pthreads requirement.
>
> Pthreads knows nothing about exceptions, so it can't strictly require
> that one isn't thrown :-)

It's also a 'C' library so *in general* it can't propagate an
exception properly either. I'm pretty sure that's the reason for the
requirement. In principle, it might crash. Of course, some systems
have integrated C++ exceptions with their 'C' runtime and libraries.
In fact, pthreads is more likely than most libraries to have
registered the appropriate 'C' cleanups, because pthreads has a whole
integrated cancellation mechanism that is intended to map to C++
exceptions.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting