From: Andrey Melnikov (melnikov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-04 12:37:02

Pavel Chikulaev wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> There is a strange symbols in /libs/parameter/doc/html/index.html in section
> 2.6.2 after second function code with modifier <span class="doublesize">.
> Absolutely the same in 2.7.2 and 2.7.3...
>
> In section 2.8.3 "Mnemonics" note can overlap code in that section when page
> less than 800 pixels wide. It's better to use tables IMO there.

I confirm that it works in Firefox/Windows and broken in IE6 exactly as
Pavel describes.

Also I found another bug there: "Mnemonics" is spelled incorrectly.

And regarding tables: tables are considered an evil in modern XHTML/CSS2
world. Look at boost home page - you won't believe that it doesn't use
tables.

I don't think that it's a good idea to fix a minor visual bug just
because it appears in IE. I think we can afford having
standard-compliant pages and ignore minor browser quirks. I think we
should focus on getting all pages written in BoostBook and fixing the
bugs in BoostBook XSLT styesheets then.

I see strange things in the code like <tt class="docutils literal"><span
class="pre">. I think it's a fix for an old browser quirk because
according to XHTML and CSS standards just <span> with correctly defined
styles should be enough.

I'm going to contribute to this area after finishing with reviews of
patches for BBv2 with Vladimir and Aleksey and HOWTO documentation
improvements with Hendrik.

Andrey