From: Anthony Williams (anthony_w.geo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-05 10:06:07

David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Anthony Williams <anthony_w.geo_at_[hidden]> writes:
>> BTW, Dave, it's probably worth running Tidy over the HTML, since it picks up a
>> few things, such as nested <a> tags, and id's that clash with name's
>> (e.g. table-of-contents is both an id on a DIV, and a name on an A tag, which
>> is not allowed)
>
> Nothing I can do about it other than try to fix docutils, and every
> time I've reported that tidy complains about something docutils
> generates the docutils people have told me that tidy is wrong. So, I
> don't want to seem uncooperative or like I don't care about validity,
> but I hope you'll understand when I say "be my guest and report the
> problems to docutils if you think you know the HTML rules well
> enough." I sure don't.

I certainly understand. If I believed my tool was right and another tool
complained, I'd blame the other tool, too.

However, I happen to agree with tidy, so I think it's worth giving feedback to
the docutils people. Do you mean the project at docutils.sourceforge.net?

Where's the source code for these web pages, and how do I run docutils on it?
Is it nicely in CVS with a bjam script? What do I need (other than docutils)
to build it?

FYI:

The id/name errors occur on every heading, where there's a DIV with the ID
attribute, which encompasses an H3 tag, with an A tag, with the identical NAME
attribute. This is covered by section 12.2.3 of HTML4. "The id and name
attributes share the same name space. This means that they cannot both define
an anchor with the same name in the same document."

"ILLEGAL EXAMPLE:
The following excerpt is illegal HTML since these attributes declare the same name
twice in the same document.
<A href="#a1">...</A>
<H1 id="a1">
...pages and pages...
<A name="a1"></A>"

The nested link problem is again in the headers, but this time in the header
for your section 2.5.3 (The Binding Metafunction), and your section 3.2 (No
support for result_of) --- the titles contain cross-reference links, and the
whole title is enclosed in an A tag, for the title anchor. This is covered by
section 12.2.2 of HTML4 --- "an A element must not contain any other A
elements"

Anthony

--
Anthony Williams