From: Fabio Fracassi (f.fracassi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-09 07:53:18

Rob Stewart wrote:

> From: Aleksey Gurtovoy <agurtovoy_at_[hidden]>
>> Rob Stewart writes:
>> > From: Aleksey Gurtovoy <agurtovoy_at_[hidden]>

>> > Did you find the smaller text somehow unreadable?

I think that even the enlarged version is still a tad to small. I find the
links extremly hard to read.
I think that the links should be the same font size as the main text, or if
you must, only marginaly smaller.

I also don't think it can possibily be confusing or distracting, since the
Links are well separated by the (very nice looking) shadowed frames.

Most sites I know have link text in either:

Same font size:
www.slashdot.org
www.heise.de

Only a little bit smaller:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
www.kde.org

Smaller but bolt faced:
www.gentoo.org

On a sudden inspiration I checked with Internet Explorer. There the font
sizes are ok, but IIRC IE is known to show fonts larger than it should.

>> > Yes, they are distinguishable. The problem is, they are harder
>> > to read because of the lower contrast.
>>
>> Lower contrast between the links and the text or the links and the
>> background?
>
> THe problem is low contrast relative to the background; it makes
> the text harder to read, something Rene mentions in another
> reply in this thread.

Well, but blue on white is fairly standard for the web (look at google,
wikipedia, ...), and I can't see anybody who is not visually impaired
having problems with it.
In the case of visually impaired they probably have a custom Stylesheet in
place which changes the colors and layout anyway.

By the way I really like the new layout.

Just my 2 cent.

Fabio