From: Neal Becker (ndbecker2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-12 10:38:18

Stefan Seefeld wrote:

> Neal Becker wrote:
>> I placed my test boost-1.33 srpm here:
>>
>> http://nbecker.dyndns.org:8080/boost-1.33.0-6.src.rpm
>
> That's great, thanks a lot !
>
>> Basically, I modified the redhat 1.32 spec file:
>>
>> 1) Don't mess with soname
>> 2) Autoconfigure icu support
>
> Will there be a central authority that distributes
> 'official' rpms ? Will it depend (and use) icu or not ?
> I'm just afraid that at some point multiple conflicting
> rpm versions will be available and confuse potential users.

I don't know. If I can get something together that boost.devel readers
generally approve, I will try to push it to Redhat. In the past, I have
not had good cooperation, but we'll see.

>> 3) Build all variants
>
> Given that boost libs are quite big (in particular the ones
> with debug info), I'd suggest to provide separate packages
> containing individual variants, so users can install only the
> one they really want.

Good idea. I think probably make debug version separate. I don't know how
to do that, though. rpmbuild automatically creates -debug versions, so
I'll have to learn how I can control that process. I don't think separate
-mt version is needed - that would be inconsistent with other common libs.