From: Kim Barrett (kab_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-13 05:56:57

At 11:15 AM +0100 8/13/05, John Maddock wrote:
> >>From the profiling I did I'm pretty sure that the performance problems had
>>>to do
>> with the construction/destruction of the archive classes, and probably had
> > nothing to do with the actual serialization.
>
>Just a naive question: Can the archive objects be recycled?

There was some discussion of this in late July, subject
"Boost.Serialization archive constructor performance". A brief
summary of that thread:

I encountered similar issues with archive construction significantly
impacting throughput. I patched the source to allow archive reuse, and
did indeed find that it had a significant impact. But it is not clear
where the time is actually going. My first thought was that the construction
of some archive members which are STL containers was using up lots of time,
but examining those constructors in detail didn't seem to support this.

That's as far as I got before putting the examination aside temporarily. When
I return from vacation I'm planning to look into this more carefully, unless
somebody beats me to it.