From: Jarl Lindrud (jlindrud_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-13 06:50:09

Robert Ramey <ramey <at> rrsd.com> writes:

> I'm also wondering about how much compilers really inline code. This is a
> key variable re performance of templated code like this and I'm sure its
> hard to pin down. Worse yet, I'm betting it varies all over the place for
> different compilers.

No kidding, for templated, inlined code like RCF, I've found huge differences in
performance just by compiling the same program with a different compiler. Modern
versions of Visual C++ and CodeWarrior come out the best, while gcc (3.x) is a
real slowpoke, producing code that is both fat and slow.

Hopefully with successive compiler releases those differences will fade, but who
knows.

Jarl.