From: Neal Becker (ndbecker2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-13 15:21:52

I think it is a bit unfortunate that we don't have a system to determine
whether boost updates break existing api's. The usual process is that, for
example, suppose we have

libboost.so.1.33.0

Let's assign this soname libboost.so.1. Then a symlink is created

libboost.so.1 -> libboost.so.1.33.0.

Now if a bugfix comes out that does not change the api, be can have

libboost.so.1.33.1, which also has soname libboost.so.1, and then symlink:

libboost.so.1 -> libboost.so.1.33.1

OK, so that's the background. AFAICT, we (boost) don't have any way to tell
if a new release breaks existing api, and whether to up the version. I
think that is unfortunate. I don't really know what to do about it,
though.