From: Richard Hadsell (hadsell_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-15 15:22:21

Markus Schöpflin wrote:

>Neal Becker wrote:
>

>>"/usr/bin/objcopy" --set-section-flags .debug_str=contents,debug
>>

>See http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.build/9680 for a
>discussion of the subject.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I was unaware of objcopy and
the reason for using it. Earlier this year, I tried to replace my Yacc
parser with Spirit. One of its unwanted side effects was extremely long
link times for a debug executable. The problem in ld with the zillion
symbols created by templates explains those long times.

Before starting to use objcopy myself, I tried to find out whether the
ld bug has been fixed. I couldn't find anything in the binutils
archives, so instead I retried linking my code with the Spirit parser
(from 1.33.0). The long link time has disappeared, so I am providing
anecdotal evidence that binutils-2.15.92.0.2-5 (Fedora Core 3) has fixed
the ld bug. It would be nice to hear a definitive statement that the
need for objcopy went away with binutils version whatever.

If objcopy is only needed for older binutils, perhaps the gcc-tools
option should be defined so that the default is for current binutils,
which do not need objcopy. Eventually, fewer and fewer users will need
that option to support older versions of binutils. Of course,
documentation would be nice. I don't see any mention of --no-objcopy in
tools/build/v1/gcc-tools.html (in the released 1.33.0).

--
Dick Hadsell			914-259-6320  Fax: 914-259-6499
Reply-to:			hadsell_at_[hidden]