From: Martin Wille (mw8329_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-17 06:39:14

Thorsten Schuett wrote:

> future<int> f3 = f1 || f2;

We'll probably need more than operator ||.

E.g. consider f1 and f2 implement operations that consume time and may
fail, e.g.:

future<whatever> x = query_google_and_check_links_returned ||
dig_in_local_incomplete_archive;

The local archive is faster than searching something over the internet,
but the search may fail. Having an or-operation that waits for the first
function to return a *success* would be useful.

In another reply, thread-cancellation was mentioned. We don't have
thread-cancellation currently, but it would be nice if future<> would
not only accept functors but also allow for an optional interface to be
passed for signaling an abort request. A user would then be able to
implement a mechanism that works form her/him. Maybe, an abort policy
would be the right thing here.

Regards,