From: Paul A Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-17 09:24:24

I am also trying to build the test library from the new 1.33 release using
MSVC 2005 beta2.

After too long struggling, I have, again, to beg for help :-((

I have installed bjam at c:\winnt\system32 and confirmed its presence with

I:\boost_1_33_0>bjam -v
Boost.Jam Version 3.1.11. OS=NT.
   Copyright 1993-2002 Christopher Seiwald and Perforce Software, Inc.
   Copyright 2001 David Turner.
   Copyright 2001-2004 David Abrahams.
   Copyright 2002-2005 Rene Rivera.
   Copyright 2003-2005 Vladimir Prus.

Having failed with I:\>bjam -h
Invalid option: -h

usage: bjam [ options ] targets...

-a Build all targets, even if they are current.
-dx Set the debug level to x (0-9).
-fx Read x instead of Jambase.
-jx Run up to x shell commands concurrently.
-n Don't actually execute the updating actions.
-ox Write the updating actions to file x.
-q Quit quickly as soon as a target fails.
-sx=y Set variable x=y, overriding environment.
-tx Rebuild x, even if it is up-to-date.
-v Print the version of jam and exit.
--x Option is ignored.

And bjam -? which appears to take a long time doing nothing (I killed it).

despite discouragement from

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>bjam --help
Jamfile: No such file or directory
Jamfile: No such file or directory
...found 8 targets...

Whose meaning is unclear, except that a jamfile is missing! What are the
'targets'?

(BTW why does -v show version and exit - why not show version and carry on
to document the bjam version used on screen or better in the log file).

My MSVC is standard location: cl.exe and lib.exe and link.exe are at

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin"

so I have assumed that the root is

-sMSVC_ROOT="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\"

I assume I need to specify msvc as my TOOLS

 -sTOOLS=msvc

My Boost 1.33.0 is installed at

i:\boost_1_33_0

so I have CDed to it and run (to a long file, too much to view on screens
buffer)

I:\boost_1_33_0>bjam -q -sMSVC_ROOT="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio 8\
VC" -sTOOLS=msvc --builddir=i:\temp --with=test --stagedir=i:\libs
--without-pyt
hon stage > i:\temp\bjam.log

despite --with-test or -with-test_exec_monitor (Is the 'with' name the
group or the individual? Why a - and not a =?)

I get ALL the libraries built at i:\libs, as requested.

And they have the wrong name - vc6 - a compiler I thankfully discarded some
long time ago ;-)

I get two versions, one labelled with Boost version, one not. Why?

I presume I can rename and install these lib files, but how should they be
named Right First Time?

Thanks for any elucidations.

Paul

Paul A Bristow