From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-17 20:23:25

George M. Garner Jr. wrote:
> Johnathan,
>
>> What are you trying to do? <
>
> I believe that we have already discussed this. But since you ask:

<snip>

> The implementation avoids excessive copying by bypassing, under
> carefully defined circumstances, internal buffering and performing
> the read operation in-place.

This is not an appropriate customization point for indirect_streambuf. The
correct way to customize the buffering policy would be through a template
parameter. Even better, if you can show that your implementation is superior to
the current one, I can simply use yours instead.

I'll have to review the old messages to remember what the sticking points were.
I seem to remember there was a problem with STLPort requiring a larger putback
buffer than other libraries.

>> Also, component_impl() is virtual, so you should be able to override
>> it even
>> though its private. <
>
> I'm not sure how this helps;

It means that you can currently do whatever you would be able to do if I made it
protected.

> component_impl() returns a void*. What
> am I supposed to do, cast it? :-(

Of course ;-) What else can you do with a void*?

> Regards,
>
> George.

Jonathan