From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-19 11:15:42

Ion Gaztañaga <igaztanaga_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> What we really need is someone/people to step up to the plate and take
>> responsibility for development, maintenance, and documentation of
>> relevant libraries. We need more than ideas; we need leadership.
>> That isn't to say it has to be done by one person alone, but at least
>> someone needs to rally the energy of Boosters with the interest and
>> expertise to tackle the problems. Maybe you and Paul can do something
>> together?
>
> I'm ready to make a new Shmem snapshot, stop the development of
> Shmem (well trivial bug-fixes only) and work on Boost Thread's
> interface. Not that I am an expert in threads, I'm talking just
> about the interface,

Getting the interface right is the hard part. Become enough of an
expert to make informed decisions (with input from the community)
about what should be done.

> but at least I will start making noise about this. If we have a
> definitive boost thread interface, I would then adapt Shmem to this
> interface. Last time I looked, Michael Glassford was mantaining
> Boost.Thread, and he had good ideas, so he could help a lot here.

Yes. I haven't heard from Michael in a while; you should get in touch
with him and see how you can work together.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting