From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-20 07:59:09

Bruno Martínez <br1_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:42:26 -0300, David Abrahams
> <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Bruno Martínez <br1_at_[hidden]> writes:
>>
>>> It probably doesn't make sense to have a language like that on a
>>> speed basis. If I don't misunderstand the efficiency appendix of
>>> your book, even at<0, myvec> is O(N) because of the similar
>>> instantiations the compiler has to go through.
>>
>> What led you to believe that?
>
> The book. It has to search for the "memoization record" in a list, even
> if re instantiating the template would have been simple.

Okay, let's be precise. *Technically*, at<0, myvec> is O(X) -- where
X is the number of prior instantiations of at<i,v> -- on most existing
compilers, but note that v doesn't have to be myvec nor does X have
any relation to size<myvec>::value.

>>> The difference is that this work is not interpreted.
>>
>> <blink> Sorry, you lost me.
>
> Nothing new. The search for the memoization record is faster
> because it's builtin, and it doesn't go through the process of
> template instantiation.

Okay, that's one way to look at it. The reasons it is faster are not
so important for the purposes of this analysis, so I prefer to say
that it can be very difficult to observe this X because the constant
is so low compared to the cost of instantiating a single template.

> Metrowerks seems to be bringing the elements accessed to the front af the
> list, even.

I think GCC does it too.

>>> Even without some weird O(N)->O(1) cases, memoization has a sw
>>> engineering impact. As it's said in the book, it's easier to avoid
>>> blobs, for example, because there's no speed hit.
>>
>> The book says that?
>
> Sorry for putting words in your mouth.

I guess you're suggesting that instantiating N templates with 1 nested
typedef might be presumed to be slower than instantiating 1 template
with N nested typedefs?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting