From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-23 09:58:11

I just looked over this library (since Robert Ramey mentioned part of it as
a solution to a different problem). I'm wondering how (future) Boost
library code should implement serialization. Right now, the Serialization
library contains code to serialize "shared_ptr" types. Should the
Serialization library contain similar code for every potential Boost type,
so should each type include the code?

If the latter is the answer, then does:

    class my_type {
        friend class ::boost::serialization::access;
        //...
    };

need a forward (or full) declaration for "access" before it? Or does that
only apply to template functions (or is it just template operators)[1]?

Also, the Contents entries from "void_cast" to "BOOST_STATIC_WARNING" need
to be raised a level so they don't look like child entries for
"extended_type_info". And I think some of the demo programs could use a
sprinkling of "std::auto_ptr".

[1] I know there's at least one wacky friend combination that'll interpret a
template function as a non-template function instead if you don't take
proper precautions.

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie