From: Ben Artin (macdev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-23 14:41:43

In article <2c8df206af943147929336f60d8a4bea_at_[hidden]>,
 Howard Hinnant <hinnant_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2005, at 4:50 AM, Ben Artin wrote:
>
> > I consider this a pretty serious error, and that I think we should
> > understand how it came to pass.

[...]

> <shrug> bugs happen. Bugs of this nature won't be eradicated unless you
> outlaw dropping into assembly (and I don't recommend that).

Sure, bugs happen. My main point here is that we should make sure we learn
something from them -- or, more importantly, that we should learn something from
them *before* our users learn that Mac OS X releases of boost are not thoroughly
tested.

> Perhaps an extended public beta of boost releases (all compressed and easy to
> download) might help?

Can someone explain exactly why this wasn't caught in unit tests? I am not sure
I understand why we missed this, but I am pretty sure it's important that we try
to avoid this happening in the future.

Ben

--
I changed my name: <http://periodic-kingdom.org/People/NameChange.php>