From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-24 06:55:50

So.... it looks like we have a number of small niggles, not least of which
is the shared_ptr problem, so do we go for a 1.33.1 release?

Assuming "yes", can everyone who's made changes to the RC_1_33_0 branch,
please make sure that those fixes are logged in the news section of
index.htm.

I've added preliminary entries for config, shared_ptr and regex, but the
following libs also have changes:

hash,
iostreams
parameter
program_options
serialization
test

The plan then would be to produce an early *beta* of the tarballs/zips
sometime soon (I may be able to do this on Saturday), this would act as an
initial hotfix release as well as the first beta: we can then move on to a
fairly leisurely cycle (two weeks or so?) of one or two more betas, followed
by a final 1.33.1 release.

The aim would be to:

* Give lib authors more time to fix any issues that may have come up.
* Test a beta release procedure and see how it works out.
* Give uses a little more time to report critical issues that still need
fixing, but aren't in the Beta.

We also need to decide how much of our testing resources to devote to
testing 1.33.1: this is the biggest argument against another release, we do
not want to stall main branch development.

How does this sound to everyone?

John.