From: Calum Grant (calum_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-25 13:43:02

> [mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Peter Dimov
> Maxim Yegorushkin wrote:
> > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:34:59 +0400, Peter Dimov <pdimov_at_[hidden]>
> > wrote:

> and noticed
> and those
> when the
> >>
> >> What do you suggest?
> >
> > IMO, patching it to avoid false sharing may require too much effort.
>
> That, and it would increase the memory footprint.

Typically you avoid sharing by using thread-local storage (TLS). Thus
you can't pool memory between threads, resulting in an increase in
memory usage on average. Depending on the sophistication of the
allocator, you could end up with resource leaks if you allocate in one
thread and deallocate in another, but that is an edge case.

But the good news is that if you just have one thread, you don't have
extra overhead. The performance of locking operations (even interlocked
increments/exchanges) will come to dominate the allocator on multi-cpu
and even multi-core systems. So even a naïve pool allocator using TLS
will scale reasonably well.

I would quite like to see the memory model specified via a template
argument to the pool allocator, as opposed to a macro. Just an
instinctive aversion to macros...

Regards, Calum