From: Bronek Kozicki (brok_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-31 08:19:18

Bronek Kozicki <brok_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> John Maddock <john_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Well that's a good question: I'm just thinking out loud really, the
>> options are choice or no choice, and if choice then compile-time or
>> runtime? My gut feeling is that compile time parameterisation should
>> be used only when there's some real benefit, and I don't see it in
>> this case - there's no need to make everything a template :-) No
>
> I would argue that there is *big* difference in semantics of thread
> execution between
> silently swallowing exceptions and leaking them

Oh, one more argument for different (compile-time) form of starting
threads wrapped by catch(...) - it might accept (or even require)
additional function (functor) being used as exception filter:

void start_thread(T thread_proc, U exception_filter)
{
  try{thread_proc();}catch(...){exception_filter();}
}

B.