From: Arkadiy Vertleyb (vertleyb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-31 19:08:52

"Aleksey Gurtovoy" <agurtovoy_at_[hidden]> wrote

> Eric Niebler writes:
> > Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:
> >> I'd like to see a comparison of compilation times between the old and
> >> the new implementation and the latter being stress tested on
> >> Boost.Python tests before it officially replaces the current
> >> code.
> >>

> > I'm not sure what you mean. The "current code" for remove_pointer, et
> > al. for VC6 and VC7 is broken -- it does nothing.
>
> It does, see

http://www.boost.org/doc/html/boost_typetraits/category.html#transform.broke
n_compiler_workarounds_.

> > You want to see a
> > performance comparison between code that doesn't work and code that
> > does. Why?
>
> Because we have code that depends on Type Traits working reliably on
> MSVC 6.5 -- and taking a reasonable amount of time to compile.

If this is related to only VC6 and VC7.0, then a typeof-using implementation
would compile fast (and not require registration) since for these compilers
the only possible option is to use the Igor' Chesnokov's MSVC-specific trick
(not emulation).

However to stress-test it would be a good idea anyway.

Regards,
Arkadiy