From: Matt Hurd (matt.hurd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-02 16:38:43

> Edward Diener wrote:
> Matt Hurd wrote:

<snip>

> A number of these dealing with sharing objects, such as mutexes, semaphores,
> signaling events, are useful not merely in the context of threading but also in
> other contexts, such as interprocess communication, fibers, memory mapping
> and/or sharing etc. with other uses on different OSs. Might these be better put
> in their own separate Boost library, and then be used by Boost threading and
> whatever other Boost libraries might need them without incurring the overhead of
> linking to the entire threading library ?

It will be interesting to see how much we can implement as header only
with the existing interface to prevent the need to link the entire
lib. For example, I don't think a basic mutex and scoped lock should
need implementation beyond hpp. Being able to deliver suitable
primitives for making apps thread safe without linking a boost lib is
a nice goal to keep in mind.

matt.