From: Christopher Kohlhoff (chris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-04 18:14:27

Hi Roland,

--- Roland Schwarz <roland.schwarz_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> So basically the asio also needs a change in paradigm?
> It won't be of much use in the traditional threading sense?

I wouldn't say it requires a change in paradigm, only that once you
start using sockets (and other resources) asynchronously, I find that
programs do tend to have a quite a different structure to, say, a
thread-per-connection design.

It's a bit hard to talk generally about how asio might be used in
traditional threading designs. Instead it would be easier to consider a
specific design (if you have one in mind).

But asio does work particularly well in designs where there is only a
single thread calling demuxer::run(). This means that there is no need
for any locking at all in application-level code, which can reduce the
development effort enormously.

Cheers,
Chris