From: Joao Abecasis (jpabecasis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-06 19:26:36

Hi!

I think the interface of atomic_count should be done in terms of
boost::int32_t instead of long. Currently there are 3 independent
implementations for atomic_count:

     * atomic_count_gcc: uses _Atomic_word (32-bit)

     * atomic_count_win32: uses BOOST_INTERLOCKED_*, currently defined
for windows platforms, works on 32-bit types.

     * atomic_count_pthreads: uses long; however, because it uses a
mutex for synchronization, it could use any type for the counter.

The reason for bringing this up comes from experimenting atomic_count on
a linux x86_64 box with gcc4 (FC4, in case it matters), where long is a
64-bit type, while the counter is 32-bit. I don't know if this also
happens on other 64-bit platforms.

Regards,

João Abecasis