From: Timothy Ritchey (tritchey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-08 13:59:58

Howard Hinnant wrote:

> On Sep 8, 2005, at 6:45 AM, John Maddock wrote:
>

>> I've been trying to solve the deadlock problem reported here:
http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2005/08/92307.php but I've simply
run into more and more problems, and just about every operation I've
tried will deadlock if you try hard enough.

>> THIS IS NOT GOOD.

I can add that I have run across this bug in the wild. We were using
read_write_mutex in some code, and we started seeing several threads
locking up waiting on either a read lock or a write lock when the
application was under load. There was no reason I could see that at
least one thread couldn't make progress. I changed to a normal mutex and
the problem went away.

--
Timothy Ritchey
Chief Technical Officer